How do I obtain automobile decals?

As of July 1, 2017, residents are no longer required to purchase Auto Decals.


How do I pay my real estate and personal property taxes?


Real Estate Taxes
The code of Virginia provides for the assessment of real estate taxes based on the fair market value.  Real estate is assessed on July 1st each year by the Commissioner of Revenue. Real estate tax bills are provided to mortgage companies that provide written requests.

Personal Property
A personal property tax is levied on the following types of property:  automobiles, trucks, motor homes, boats, motorcycles, trailers, campers, airplanes and business personal property.  Personal property is assessed by the Commissioner of Revenue for the full year on items owned on July 1 of each tax year.  Mecklenburg County does not pro-rate personal property.  If you have an item on your personal property statement that you did not own on July 1, please contact the office of the Commissioner of Revenue at 434.738.6191.  Any correction must be made by the Commissioner of Revenue.  The treasurer can not process payments with items marked off your statement until you contact the Commissioner of Revenue for a correction.

Town of Clarksville
Residents of the Town of Clarksville will receive tax bills from both the town and Mecklenburg County. The annual town real estate and personal property tax bills are mailed in November and are due on February 1st of each year.  A ten percent penalty is added to the tax bill for payment made after Feb. 1.  A public notice is placed in the local newspaper during January notifying residents of the due date of the taxes.  Failure to receive a statement does not relieve you of your obligation to pay.  If you do not receive a bill you must call the Town Hall at 434.374.8177. Personal property and real estate payments may be combined and paid with one check.  Accepted forms of payment include cash, check or money order.  Checks and money orders should be made payable to the Town of Clarksville.

Mecklenburg County
Real estate and personal property taxes are billed semi-annually.  The June statement is billed in May and due by June 5th. The December statement is billed in October and due by December 5th.  A payment penalty of 10% is added if not received or postmarked by the due date. Interest is added at 10% a year after the due date.  Failure to receive a statement does not relieve you of your obligation to pay. If you do not receive a statement, please contact the treasurer’s office immediately at 434.738.6191 ext. 4244.  Personal property and real estate payments may be combined and paid with one check. Accepted forms of payment include cash, check or money order.  Checks and money orders should be made payable to the County of Mecklenburg.

Address Change
If you have an address change, please update the address on your statement when you send your remittance or notify the Commissioner of Revenue at 434.738.6191.

Real Estate Personal Property
Town of Clarksville $.28 per $100 of assessed value $1.65 per $100 per full value
Mecklenburg County $.40 per $100 of assessed value $3.26 per $100 per full loan value

Where is Town Hall?

Town Hall is located at 321 Virginia Avenue on the South side of the street between 3rd and 4th street.

How do I subscribe to water, sewer, and garbage service?

The Town of Clarksville provides Water, Sewer & Garbage services. To establish service, visit Town Hall or call 434.374.8177.

For each two-month billing period, the minimum residential charge for in-town water, sewage and garbage is $164.65, which covers the first 6,000 gallons of water and the first 10,000 gallons of sewage.  The minimum business fee is $187.33, and the minimum out-of-town fee for water and sewer (garbage not available) is $315.85.

Water Minimum (6000 gallons) Water (each additional 1000 gallons) Sewer Minimum (6000 gallons) Sewer (each additional 1000 gallons) Garbage (residential /business)
In Town $60.00 $7.00 $86.65 $13.00 $18.00/$40.38
Out of Town $119.50 $13.95 $196.35 $19.92 N/A

If you rent your residence or place of business, you are required to pay a deposit of $250.00 before the Town utility service is initiated. The deposit is returned when your service is discontinued. Meters are read between the 15th and 20th day of each odd month.  Billing is done on a bi-monthly basis with bills due by the 10th of each even month. If payment is not received or postmarked by the 10th of the month, a penalty of 10% will be added. A 15-day delinquency will result in termination of service. If service is discontinued, a $20.00 fee will be charged for reconnection. No second notice will be provided. The customer is responsible for all water that goes through the meter. Accepted forms of payment include cash, check or money order. Checks and money orders should be made payable to the Town of Clarksville.

When is garbage collected?

Refuse collection within the Town limits is done once a week.
Businesses and the Rose Hill area are picked up on Thursday. All other areas are picked up on Friday. Leaf pick up is conducted November through January, during other months leaves should bagged and left for refuse collection. For more information call the Town Hall 434.374.8177.

Does Clarksville have Recycling Centers?

Mecklenburg County currently offers containers to recycle Aluminum and Newspaper at Robbins Ball Park at 104 Woodland Drive in Clarksville.

How do I get a telephone installed?

Verizon services the Town of Clarksville. To establish telephone service call 1-800-837-4966.

How do I obtain Cable and Satellite Television Services?

There is one company servicing the Town of Clarksville. Please contact Shentel at 877.743.8538

How do I acquire electrical service?

Dominion Power and Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative handle electric service needs.  Contact Dominion Power at 800.667.3000 or contact Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative at 434.372.6200.

Does Clarksville have an SPCA?

Yes, Lake Country SPCA. For more information contact Rose McMahon at 434-374-8076 or 434-374-2421 or visit their website http://lakecountryspca.org/Home.html

Where is the library?

The library is located adjacent to the Clarksville Crossroads Shopping Center and Police Department. The library houses 21,733 volumes.  Hi-speed internet and wireless services requires identification. B+W copies for $.20. Fax per page $1.00 to send and $.50 receive. Out of country fax is $4.00 per page. The Library is just one of Clarksville’s many facilities.

Phone 434.374.8692.  Fax 434.374.8200.

Where is the post office?

The Clarksville Post Office is located at 106 4th Street, north of Virginia Avenue. Mail delivery is available to some sections of the town. Other areas of town will require a post office box.  For further information call the Clarksville Post Office at 434.374.4782.

What are the local parking regulations?

Free parking is available on Virginia Avenue. Downtown Parking is restricted to two hours. For more information, contact the Clarksville Police Department 434.374.5743.

Where can I ride a bicycle or skateboard?

Bicycles and skateboards can be ridden on private property with the property owner’s permission.  Bicycles can also be ridden on streets and highways. Cyclists must follow the rules of the road and exercise safety. Bicycles and skateboards are not permitted on Town sidewalks.

What are the regulations on open fires?

4:00 PM Burning Law: February 15th – April 30th.

  • No burning until after 4:00pm if within 300 feet of woodland or grass and brush land leading into woodland.
  • Fire must be attended at all times if within 150 feet of woodland or grass and brush land leading into woodland.
  • No fuel may be added or fire rekindled after midnight.

This law applies to campfires, warming fires, brush piles, household trash, stumps, fields of brook straw and brush, or anything capable of spreading fire. Contact the Virginia Department of Forestry for additional information at 434.977.6555 or visit on the web at www.dof.state.va.us

How do I register my boat?

To register a boat in the state of Virginia, contact the Department of Game & Inland Fisheries at 434.525.7522 or you may get a 30 day (temporary) boat registration at the Lake Motel, located at  101 Virginia Avenue, 434.374.8106

Where do I get a fishing license?

A valid Virginia or North Carolina fishing license is required to fish Buggs Island Lake.  Virginia licenses are available at the Lake Motel and at Buggs Island Bait and Tackle.